Supervised by Dr Patricia Scully
The proposed project combines analytical science and functional optical coatings with new types of polymer based optical fibre sensors that give enhanced evanescent field capability.
The study aims to:
- Investigate polymer sensing optical coatings in terms of analyte incorporation, longevity, optical properties and clinically acceptable materials.
- Examine and optimise surfacic chemistry of polymer optical surfaces using laser and chemical methods.
- Optimise evanescent field sensitivity by fibre design, structure, optical launch and detection conditions.
- Build appropriate opto-electronic interface to interrogate and measure the optical fibre status for on-line monioring and signal processing.
- Demonstrate sensors in new applications that solve difficult measurement problems: e.g. wearable sensors for incorporation into textiles.