Dr John Vaughan is employed as a Knowledge Transfer Fellow in Photonic Sensors and Devices.
John is curently working on Development of a remote electronic rehabilitation service to enable safe delivery and remote monitoring of lower limb rehabilitation in the community. This project is funded by a grant awarded by Arthritis Research UK (ARUK) and Manchester AHSC Healthcare Challenge in December 2013. It is a project joint with with colleagues in Nursing (Drs Emma Stanmore (PI) and Christine Brown Wilson) and colleagues in EEE (Prof Krikor Ozanyan and Dr Paul Wright) together with NHS podiatrist Neil Frame and SME MDTi (Medical Device Technology International). It uses the optical fibre imagimat (magic carpet) technology to remotely log and analyse exercising on a tilted platform to improve limb function and mobility.
It employs PDRAs Dr John Vaughan in the PSI and Dr Jose Cantoral Ceballos in EEE.
Dr Vaughan previously worked on our EPSRC project to develop an optical fibre sensormat or iMagiMat to define patient mobility patterns that precede a fall. The sensormat will be used as a clinical tool to monitor gait and movement, enabling identification of deterioration with timely implementation of strategies to prevent falls. The technology will be subjected to clinical tests and evaluations in order to define the market and major cost savings achievable in reduced care costs for elderly people, whose independence would be maintained by appropriate intervention.
Room 2.318, The Photon Science Institute,
The University of Manchester,
Manchester. M13 9PL. UK
Tel: +44 (0) 161 306 4880
Dr John Vaughan completed his PhD from 2001 to 2004 on “Optoelectronic Devices for Spectrochemical Sensing”, in the Department of Instrumentation and Analytical Science (DIAS) at UMIST, specialising in coatings for surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy.
He worked from 2004-2009 as a Research Associate on Unilever-Manchester Advanced Research Partnership grant, then as a Knowledge Transfer Associate on a KTP Unilever-Manchester project, and then on technical research and project management for the EU HYPER project.
- C. Brown Wilson, P.Scully, K.Ozanyan, N. Nurgiyatna, J. Cantoral Ceballos, P. Wright, J. Vaughan, and C.Todd. Developing a Sensor Mat to reduce Falls- Involving older people with dementia, families and staff. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging. 2013; 17(1): . eScholarID:199623
- Shijie Liang, Patricia J. Scully, Joerg Schille, John Vaughan, Mohammed Benyezzar, Dun Liu, Walter Perrie (2010). Writing Parameters for 3D Refractive Index Structures in Polymethyl Methacrylate Using Femtosecond Radiation at 400 nm. JLMN-Journal of Laser Micro/Nanoengineering Vol. 5, No. 1.
- J Vaughan, N Hortin, S Christie, F Kvasnik and P J Scully (2005). The characterization of photographic materials as substrates for surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy. J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt. 7, S425–S431.
- J.Vaughan, S.Christie, F.Kvasnik and P.J. Scully (2004).
Practical Substrates for Surface Enhanced Raman and Surface Enhanced Resonance Raman Spectroscopy. Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics.
- J.Vaughan, F.Kvasnik, and S.Christie (2002)
Optical Sensors for Measurement of Gaseous HCL and Ammonia. Presented at Europtrode VI, UMIST, Manchester, 8-10 April 2002.
- Christine Brown Wilson, Patricia Scully, Krikor Ozanyan, John Vaughan, Paul Wright ,Jose Cantoral Ceballos, Chris Todd (2013). Developing a sensormat to reduce falls involving people with dementia, families and staff. MOBEX, University of Manchester, 18 January 2013.
- Fiadzomor P, Hamza B, Scully P, Benyezzar M, Qiao C, Vaughan J, Grieve B, Ozanyan K, Pearson D. (2012). POF based moisture and pH sensor in soils for e-Agriculture applications. Proceeding of Photon12: Photon 12; 03 Sep 2012-06 Sep 2012; University of Durham, Durham, UK. London, UK: Institute of Physics; 2012.
- Nurgiyatna N, Cantoral Ceballos, J., Wright P., Vaughan J., Brown-Wilson C, Fiadzomor P, Scully P J and Ozanyan K B. (2012). Footprint Imaging by Guided-Path Tomography. Proceeding of Photon12: Photon 12; 03 Sep 2012-06 Sep 2012; University of Durham, Durham, UK. London, UK: Institute of Physics; 2012.
- M.A.Nabeerasool, P.Fiadzomor, J.Vaughan, R.Maier, P.J. Scully (2011). Optimisation of Palladium coated polymer optical fibre sensor for detecting 15 ppm hydrogen concentration . POF2011 20th International Polymer Optical Fiber Conference, 16-19 Sept 2011.
- Nurgiyatna N, Brown-Wilson C, Fiadzomor P, Vaughan J, Scully P and Ozanyan K B 2011). Characterisation of grooved plastic optical fibre sensor mat for deformation imaging: medical applications. POF2011 20th International Polymer Optical Fiber Conference, 16-19 Sept 2011.
- Patricia Scully, John Vaughan, Krikor Ozanyan, Walter Perrie (2010). Polymer Optical Fibre Sensing and Technology: Applications. (Invited). POF10 19th International Polymer Optical Fiber Conference, 19-21 Oct 2010, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan.
- M.A.Nabeerasool, P.J. Scully, J.Vaughan, R.Maier (2010). Palladium Coated Polymer Optical Fibre Hydrogen Sensor for Humid Environments (Oral). ). POF10 19th International Polymer Optical Fiber Conference, 19-21 Oct 2010, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan.
- A.Taranu, P.J.Scully, K.Al.Naimee, J.Vaughan, A.Baum (2010). Raman Mapping of Femtosecond Laser Written Photonic Structures in Polymethylmethacrylate (Oral). ). POF10 19th International Polymer Optical Fiber Conference, 19-21 Oct 2010, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan.
- S. J. Liang, P. J. Scully, J. Schille, J. Vaughan, M. Benyezzar, D. Liu, and W. Perrie (2010). Femtosecond Laser Induced Long Period Gratings in Polymer Optical Fibre (Poster). ). POF10 19th International Polymer Optical Fiber Conference, 19-21 Oct 2010, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan..
- Mohammed Akmez Nebeerasool, John Vaughan, Robert Maier, Patricia J. Scully (2010). Optical Sensing for Hydrogen in humid environments. Photon10. Optics and Photonics conference. Southampton. 23-26 August 2010.
- Shijie Liang, Patricia J. Scully, Joerg Schille, John Vaughan, Mohammed Benyezzar, Dun Liu, and Walter Perrie (2010). Writing 3D photonic structures in polymethyl methacrylate films and optical fibres using 400 nm Femtosecond laser. Photon10. Optics and Photonics conference. Southampton. 23-26 August 2010.
- Liang, S. J.; Scully, P. J.; Schille, J.,Vaughan, J.; Perrie, W., (2009) Femtosecond laser induced refractive index structures in polymer optical fibre (POF) for sensing. 20th International Conference on Optical Fibre Sensors. Edited by Jones, Julian D. C.. Proceedings of the SPIE, Volume 7503 (2009)., pp. 75036S-75036S-4 (2009).
- Ozanyan K B, Nurgiyatna N, Constantino E P A, Vaughan J, Scully P. (2009). Photonic Guided-Path Tomography Sensor for Deformation in a Non-planar Surface. Sensors & their Applications XV. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 178 (2009) 012025 doi:10.1088/1742-6596/178/1/012025
- S. Liang, J. Schille, P. J. Scully, J. Vaughan, W. Perrie(2009). Feasibility of 3D refractive index structures written by femtosecond laser in polymethyl methacrylate. LAMP2009 – the 5th International Congress on Laser Advanced Materials Processing, Kobe, Japan 2009.
- P J Scully, N Nurgiyatna, E Constantino, J Vaughan. K.Ozanyan. (2008). Photonic guided-path tomography for imaging 2-D distribution of measurands using sensitised polymer optical fibre sensors. Oral Presentation. Photon 08: Optics & Photonics Conference. Institute of Physics. Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, Sept 2008.
- J Vaughan, P J Scully (2008). Optical sensing for perspiration. Oral Presentation. Photon 08: Optics & Photonics Conference. Institute of Physics. Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, Sept 2008.
- J Vaughan, P J Scully (2008). Optical sensing for hydrogen fuel cells for stationary applications. Oral Presentation. Photon 08: Optics & Photonics Conference. Institute of Physics. Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, Sept 2008.
- J. Vaughan, C. Woodyatt, P. J.Scully, K. Persaud (2007). Polymer optical fibre sensor to monitor skin moisture and perspiration (2007). POF07, Turin, Italy, Sept 2007.
- P.J.Scully, J.Vaughan, D. Spagni (2007). Sensing and measurement in hydrogen and fuel cell stationary applications. POF07, Turin, Italy, Sept 2007.
- N. Nurgiyatna, J. Davidson, K.B.Ozanyan, J.Vaughan, P.J.Scully (2007). Transducers. 5th World Congress on Industrial Tomography, Bergen, Norway 3-6 September 2007.
- J. Vaughan, C. Woodyatt, P. J. Scully (2007). Polymer optical fibre sensor to monitor skin moisture. EWOFS, Naples, July 2007.
- J. Vaughan, C. Woodyatt, P Scully, K Persaud (2007). SweatPOD: Polymer optical coatings for moisture monitoring. Cleo-Europe, Munich, 2007.
- J. Vaughan, P. J. Scully (2006). Polymer optical fibres (POF) as sweat sensors. Photon 06: Optics and Photonics 2006. The University of Manchester, Sept 4-7 2006.
- J Vaughan, P J Scully (2006). Polymer based substrates for Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy. Photon 06: Optics and Photonics 2006. The University of Manchester, Sept 4-7 2006.